Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012

The 'Undue Weight' of Truth on Wikipedia - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education

The 'Undue Weight' of Truth on Wikipedia - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education: So I removed the line about there being "no evidence" and provided a full explanation in Wikipedia's behind-the-scenes editing log. Within minutes my changes were reversed. The explanation: "You must provide reliable sources for your assertions to make changes along these lines to the article."

That was curious, as I had cited the documents that proved my point, including verbatim testimony from the trial published online by the Library of Congress. I also noted one of my own peer-reviewed articles. One of the people who had assumed the role of keeper of this bit of history for Wikipedia quoted the Web site's "undue weight" policy, which states that "articles should not give minority views as much or as detailed a description as more popular views." He then scolded me. "You should not delete information supported by the majority of sources to replace it with a minority view."