Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Six Reasons Why I’m Not On Facebook, By Wired UK’s Editor | Epicenter | Wired.com

Six Reasons Why I’m Not On Facebook, By Wired UK’s Editor | Epicenter | Wired.com: Well, Matt, I admit I’m the wrong side of 30, and that I still avoid using emoticons in formal correspondence. But let me explain why I’m not active on Facebook, nor sharing my credit-card purchases on Blippy, nor allowing Google Buzz to mine my contacts list, nor even publishing my DNA on 23andMe.com. My cautious use of the social networks has nothing to do with paranoia about privacy; and yes, I celebrate the unprecedented transparency and connectivity that these services can empower. But what’s increasingly bothering me is the wider social and political cost of our ever-greater enmeshment in these proprietary networks. Here are half a dozen reasons why.