Search This Blog

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Why I Hate 3-D (And You Should Too) | Print Article | Newsweek.com

Why I Hate 3-D (And You Should Too) | Print Article | Newsweek.com: "Why I Hate 3-D (And You Should Too)
I'm not opposed to 3-D as an option. I'm opposed to it as a way of life.
By Roger Ebert | NEWSWEEK 
Published Apr 29, 2010
From the magazine issue dated May 10, 2010
3-D is a waste of a perfectly good dimension. "



For years I've been praising a process invented by Dean Goodhill called MaxiVision48, which uses existing film technology but shoots at 48 frames per second and provides smooth projection that is absolutely jiggle-free. Modern film is projected at 24 frames per second (fps) because that is the lowest speed that would carry analog sound in the first days of the talkies. Analog sound has largely been replaced by digital sound. MaxiVision48 projects at 48fps, which doubles image quality. The result is dramatically better than existing 2-D. In terms of standard measurements used in the industry, it's 400 percent better. That is not a misprint. Those who haven't seen it have no idea how good it is. I've seen it, and also a system of some years ago, Douglas Trumbull's Showscan. These systems are so good that the screen functions like a window into three dimensions. If moviegoers could see it, they would simply forget about 3-D.

-