Search This Blog

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Yahoo's IntoNow: Interactive TV, but not on TV | Challengers - CNET News

Yahoo's IntoNow: Interactive TV, but not on TV | Challengers - CNET News: IntoNow started out as an iPhone app that Yahoo acquired back in April. It's based on a clever TV-show-fingerprinting technology that's basically Shazam for TV: You let it listen to the program you're watching for a few seconds and it can figure out what the show is.

I tried the iPhone version a few months ago, and it was fun for a while to play random episodes of "I Love Lucy" and have IntoNow identify them for me. By itself, though, the identification is kind of a party trick. Generally speaking, if you're watching a TV program, you either already know what it is or can find out easily enough.


That's what I've found. I already know what I'm watching, so what's the point?