Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tribeca: "Roadie" escapes Blue Oyster Cult

Tribeca: "Roadie" escapes Blue Oyster Cult: Fans of Michael Cuesta's 2001 indie classic "L.I.E.," which features Brian Cox as the only semi-sympathetic pedophile character in the history of popular media (at least post-Humbert Humbert) -- it's time to celebrate, kind of. And by celebrate I mean have a beer at 10 o'clock in the morning and wear the same clothes four days in a row. If you thought the portrait of downscale, dysfunctional Long Island suburbia in "L.I.E." was depressing, wait till you see Ron Eldard as the eponymous hero of "Roadie," playing a 40something guy who gets fired by Blue Öyster Cult (!) after 26 years of shlepping their gear (!!), and winds up back home in Queens doing way too much coke with a couple he knew a long time ago.


Let me add further that Jimmy Testicles' extended soliloquy on the cultural importance of BÖC, the "thinking man's metal band," and the greatness of Buck Dharma's guitar solo on "Dominance and Submission" almost made me a believer -- and I pretty much hate metal, and never had any time for that band. (I mean, "(Don't Fear) the Reaper," yeah. Of course.)