Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Shylock, My Students, and Me: An essay by Paula Marantz Cohen on 30 years of teaching The Merchant of Venice | The American Scholar

Shylock, My Students, and Me: An essay by Paula Marantz Cohen on 30 years of teaching The Merchant of Venice | The American Scholar: "While Shakespeare now draws me more than ever before, one work in particular draws me most. This is The Merchant of Venice. For me, this extraordinary play grows increasingly subtle and supple with time. It continues to excite me with its language, its depth of character, and its philosophical, political, spiritual, and pedagogical implications. Looking back over my years of teaching the play, I see that the way it has been received by my students is an index to how our society has changed. I also see how much the play continues to push against established readings and to challenge even the most seemingly enlightened perspectives. The Merchant of Venice is both a mirror of our times and a means of transcending the bias of our times. It teaches how to teach.

"


-