Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2007

Google Earth and New Orleans

Google Earth and New Orleans: "

I recently started using Google Earth, and one of the first places I looked at was New Orleans, and I couldn't make sense out of what I was seeing -- it looked like the city had completely recovered from Katrina. I knew that it hadn't.


Today I spotted a post on the Google weblog that explained they had replaced New Orleans imagery with pictures taken before Katrina, but I still can't figure out why they did this.


Is it fair to assume that this is the only part of Google Earth that has been doctored?


What about other parts of Google, and what is their disclaimer policy when the data they are presenting is not the accurate data?


Seems like a basic integrity issue.


'We recognize the increasingly important role that imagery is coming to play in the public discourse,' is not enough of an explanation."